1. Save time — One of the most obvious advantages of a 5-axis CNC mill is the reduction in time it takes to complete a project. Whereas a standard 3-axis machine might require several different set-ups and more than five hours to complete, its 5-axis counterpart can complete the part in just a couple operations that take less than two hours from start to finish.
There are two types of 5-axis machining: 5-sided, sometimes called 3+2 machining, and simultaneous 5-axis. Both methods are faster than traditional 3-axis machining, but 5-sided machining is much quicker and easier to program. Simultaneous 5-axis machining ultimately results in a smoother surface finish, according to experts, which is typically required to compete for projects with many aerospace applications.
2. Reduce cost per part — You can also reduce the overall production cost per part by using 5-axis machining. Because traditional 3-axis machines are able to work only on one side of a part at a time, those parts that require multiple finished sides require recalibration and, in some cases, reprogramming. All of this increases overall production time and labor, which all ties into the final product costs.
3. Improve molding — Molds made from liquid silicone rubber (LSR) or similar substances, are becoming increasingly complex. This is a result of design developments in some industries, such as the medical device manufacturing, that call for increased versatility in their new products. To accommodate this, many manufacturers are making the transition to 5-axis machines. Mold producers of nearly every specialization now realize the value in using advanced equipment for their needs.
Related Industry Knowledge
- The difference between CNC horizont...
- The history of Boring machine
- The structure characteristic of bor...
- Horizontal Boring machine
- The packing and storage of boring m...
- Operation procedure of Boring machine
- Maintenance work of boring machine
- The first level maintenance of bori...
- The development course of Milling M...
- CNC technology
- How To Choose CNC Bits
- knowledge of cutting bits
- Metalworking Lathe Machine
- Major Categories Of Metal Lathe
- Choose The Pipe Thread Lathe
- Turkish entrepreneur sees positive ...
- Nuclear sector offers potential for...
- Mechanical Knowledgment-tolerance
- Trade dispute could hurt Houston