Hobbing is a machining process for gear cutting, cutting splines, and cutting sprockets on a hobbing machine, which is a special type of milling machine. The teeth or splines are progressively cut into the workpiece by a series of cuts made by a cutting tool called a hob. Compared to other gear forming processes it is relatively inexpensive but still quite accurate, thus it is used for a broad range of parts and quantities.
It is the most widely used gear cutting process for creating spur and helical gears and more gears are cut by hobbing than any other process as it is relatively quick and inexpensive.
A type of skiving that is analogous to the hobbing of external gears can be applied to the cutting of internal gears, which are skived with a rotary cutter (rather than shaped or broached).
Related Industry Knowledge
- The difference between CNC horizont...
- The history of Boring machine
- The structure characteristic of bor...
- Horizontal Boring machine
- The packing and storage of boring m...
- Operation procedure of Boring machine
- Maintenance work of boring machine
- The first level maintenance of bori...
- The development course of Milling M...
- Hobbing machines
- Milling and turning operations
- OPERATIONS PERFORMED ON MILLING MAC...
- Gear shaper
- WHAT IS GEAR SHAPING
- Made in China 2025 ‘1+X planning sy...
- Machining operations
- HBM Machining Center Series Advantage
- Vertical Machine Center
- About CNCTuring